In ancient times the moon was most often depicted as a Goddess because the moon appeared to become pregnant and give birth to the new moon each month. As the Goddess of the moon, Luna was the patron of the feminine. She was believed to have power to ease childbirth and inspire love. Luna was also believed to have the power to mask reality and conversely, to pierce illusion. - Art: "Birth of the Moon" by korwynn
We are all affected by the full moon whether we think it or not. During the Full Moon there is a high pressure and energy that blankets the entire world and it affects us all just as the moon affects the tides. Our bodies are 70% water and the Full Moon not only affects the tides of the ocean, but the tides in us (in fact ancient yogic writings state that the seven oceans also exist in our bodies!). It has a significant affect on our glandular system which can make us feel very emotional and reactive and frantic or if we channel that energy, it affords the opportunity to accelerate healing on all levels.
The moon, by nature, rules the feminine aspects (our receptive, psychic and emotional self) and so when it is illuminated to its fullest, our emotions are amplified bringing light to the parts of ourselves we often ignore and don’t want to deal with. This time is a great reflective time for us to learn what needs to be cleared in order to move forward and to shed the layers of ourselves that are no longer serving our highest good. This is a wonderful time to meditate for balance and clarity. If you are not a regular meditator…its never too late to start! Those who have not trained their minds through Meditation, are more susceptible to extreme mental fluctuations on this day due to the nature of the emotional pull it has on us. It is said that Buddha was born on a Full Moon and attained his enlightenment on the Full Moon as well.
Leading up to the full moon there is a lot of forward momentum action energy and it works with the physical plane more. We need to be grounded in order for things to manifest into our reality. It’s a great time for taking your plans into action!
Each month the moon interacts with us in different ways on a deeper level but this is a great start to your practice. Look for my New Moon Post to create a “MOON” ritual each month.
A great meditation to ground you and to harness the full moon energy:
- Sit in a comfortable seat where your spine is long
- Close your eyes and have an inward upward gaze - direct your energy up the spine and to your third eye (between the brows)
- Focus on your inhale and exhale
- Feel your body heavy and connected to the earth beneath you
- As you inhale feel the earths energy moving all the way up to the crown of your head
- As you exhale feel your energy merging all the way down into the earth
- continue this process until you feel fully connected to your energy and the earths energy
- Then feel your body light and expansive as the full moon energy lowers down into your crown chakra and all the way down your spine to your third eye chakra, throat chakra, heart chakra, solar plexus chakra, sacral chakra and base or root chakra and feel fully aligned and connected to your inner guidance.
- take a few more breaths to fully connect
- when you are ready (about 10-15 mins) slowly start to come out…slowly…feel refreshed, connected and ready to manifest your desires.
Does this moon stuff resonate with you? I have both Full Moon and New Moon Classes monthly at FORM Yoga in Decatur - Click here to sign up.
Interested in meditation? I teach 2 classes weekly at Infinity Yoga on Saturday. One is in Dunwoody at 12:15 and the other one in Brookhaven at 3pm. Click here to sign up.
Interested in more meditation + mindfulness work? I have 2 programs to choose from where we can work together to build a meditation and mindfulness practice. This also gives you access to my meditation library which are pre recorded 5-10 minute meditation experiences led by me. Contact me here.
Have a moon blessed + healing day,