Welcome to 2017! A new year which means new opportunities to make mistakes, to learn, to explore, to create, to embrace all the experiences life has to offer us with gratitude; and yes, even the shitty ones. As we close the door to 2016, what do you leave behind and what do keep with you to continue your journey? What has nourished you, what has challenged you, what experiences brought up old unwanted patterns, what experiences allowed you to grow?
Let’s start fresh this year and invite more TIME and LOVE for YOU. Don’t set layered “expectations” or “resolutions” of yourself this year. How about starting today with ONE (or more) acts that will bring you closer to health and happiness.
Personally, as I meditate in the morning I like to set an intention just for the day. A word or phrase that can weave into my every move, such as "awareness" or "nourish" or "pause". This word or phrase is what keeps me present in my actions and decisions throughout the day and inevitably helps keep me grounded on my path to health and happiness. It's a work in progress and I certainly don't always get there (I am human) but I work at doing the best I can with each given day. By living more mindfully, I am doing my part of being present so i can nourish myself whether it be food, movement, emotions etc. Living a life of mindfulness will ultimately get me closer to my goal/dreams without putting lots of pressure on myself. Setting goals are great, but if you don't create a day-to-day "flexible" plan, those goals turn into shameful disappointments.
Take advantage of this highly creative energy that is present in the world right now. Everyone is on a mission to take charge of their lives and do, do, do…but remember planting your feet firmly one at at time leaves more impact than racing through the mud. Be mindful of what you are doing. Remember to breathe and put forth the best effort you can...just for now, just for today.
Here are some tips to be more mindful and present in all the things you do:
- Set an intention for the day - just for today…
- Find what CALMS you...Pause...close your eyes and take a few deep inhales and exhales... Try these meditations led by your's truly.
- Find what NOURISHES you...Join me on Monday for a food based ONLINE cleanse I am co leading starting Monday (Jan 9th). Sign up here!
- Find what MOVES you...get the body moving - It is healing on the body, our bodies are meant to move --- yoga, dancing, running, jump up and down and get the blood flowing!
- Find what INSPIRES you...what do you love to do? draw, paint, write, read, whatever sparks the fire in your heart. You will unleash your creativity which inspires us and motivates us on our personal journey.
- Find who ENCOURAGES you...Surround yourself with loving, inspiring, creative and supportive people.
Here is a quote to leave you with…
New Year's Day. A fresh start. A new chapter in life waiting to be written. New questions to be asked, embraced, and loved. Answers to be discovered and then lived in this transformative year of delight and self-discovery. Today carve out a quiet interlude for yourself in which to dream, pen in hand. Only dreams give birth to change. ~ Sarah Ban Breathnach
Cheers to you,