Drinking purified water is your ticket to a glowing, optimally functioning body and mind. Water helps to flush toxins out of your cells, regulates body temperature, replenishes nutrients to all your vital organs and not to mention it is refreshing and energizing to you as well. Our bodies are roughly 70% water and our brains are roughly 80% water so we absolutely need to replenish on a daily basis. Remember we are all made of energy - when your cells don’t have enough fluid they lose their conductivity. Therefore, water improves your health, mood and energy levels.
They say dehydration is a silent killer. If you are drinking caffeine, consuming alcohol, eating processed and sugar laden foods, sweating and perspiring on the regular and not sleeping well, you NEED to make sure you are getting at least half your body weight in oz of water and then some! Always listen to your body…if your thirsty - you are already dehydrated. Make sure you are sipping water throughout the day…not just chugging your water before bed. Your pee is a good measure as well. If its pale yellow to almost clear…you are good to go…anything bright yellow or yellow in general means you need more H2O. If sleep is an issue for you, check your water intake. Dehydration reduces melatonin which means you will have a difficult time falling asleep and staying asleep.
Boosting your water intake will also help your body boost your metabolism hormone. So as you nourish your body with purified water throughout the day you will burn more calories and feel energized. Yippie!
The deal on tap water. You can find out the quality of your water in your area by researching organizations like Environmental Working Group EWG and Food and Water Watch . The most common tap water contaminants include DNA damaging chloramines, pesticides, lead and other heavy metals and pharmaceuticals. Ewww!
Tip: Sipping warm water throughout the day (especially during the cooler months) will help to flush your lymph system which is where lots of fat gets stored if not used. Dry brushing and massages are a great way to move circulation and connective tissue around as well.
Filtered water IS really a BIG deal!:
- Removes contaminants that compromise your immune system
- Reduces the amount of chlorine in the water (which may reduce your risk of colon, rectal and bladder cancers)
- Works as a barrier between you and those nasty disease-causing agents
- Decreases your exposure to chemicals and other man-made toxins
Benefits of Water:
1. Improve Bodily Functions: Drinking enough water for you body will allow your body to get the right nutrients and flush away toxins in the body. Water helps in transporting nutrients, maintains your body temperature, assists in digestion and absorption, and is a key to good circulation.
2. Weight Loss/Control: Water aids in the digestion process as well as hormone regulation. Sometimes when we are dehydrated our brain sends signals for us to drink and we receive that as eat. Next time you are hungry see if you are really "thirsty" Water also gives you a "full" feeling so you are less hungry.
3. Energizing Muscles: When muscle cells don’t have enough fluids, you decrease the amount of electrolytes and nutrients your muscles need to function properly. You might feel cramping or fatigued. You need to replenish your muscles with fluids before and after a workout to ensure you are getting the right hydration and you avoid the negative effects of any dehydration. You should drink 16-20oz of water before and after a workout.
4. Help Kidney Function: According to this New York Times wellness article, a moderate increase in water consumption can clear sodium and toxins from the body therefore decreasing the chance of kidney related problems.
5. Regular Bowel Movements: You need fiber and water for a good bowel movement. If your body is missing proper fiber it will pull water from your stool making you constipated. Water can help relieve this even if you do not have the proper amount of fiber. BUT to prevent this from happening, make sure you drink up!
6. Removal of Toxins: Clean and pure water does a great job of flushing your system and therefore carries out unnecessary toxins from the body through sweat, bowel movements and urine.
7. Increase Energy: If you are properly hydrated you will feel energized. According to studies, even before you begin to feel thirsty, the effects of mild dehydration can decrease energy, mood and thinking.
8. Reduce Headaches: Most headaches are caused by dehydration (but not all). If you are feeling some tension, drink some water and see if it helps.
9. Prevent Cramping: There are a few reasons why you might be cramping in your muscles. LACK OF WATER is one of them. The others are low potassium levels and improper stretching.
10. Strengthen the Immune System: Water is essential to your health. There are quite a few immune system benefits from proper hydration.
- Oxygenates the blood
- Removes toxins from the blood
- Increases Lymph production
- Cleans eyes
- Cleans mouth
- Helps digest food
- Helps sleep
- Lubricates joints and connective tissue
- Increases Serotonin Production (fights depression)
To ensure you are preparing yourself well for success throughout the day...Make sure you keep a water bottle (BPA free) with you that is at least 20oz and use it as a measure of how much water you take in on a daily basis. I carry around a 1L water bottle and know that I have to drink a few a day to get my daily H2O. Remember you are drinking half your body weight in oz./ day at least.
They have an app for that! There are a few apps out there that will buzz you when its time for some H2O.