It's all about YOU. Your body. Your Mind. Your Soul. Your life. It's not selfish, it's responsible to take care of yourself.
We are doers. Constantly on the move + giving...giving...giving! When it comes time to care for ourselves...we make excuses. Do we not feel worthy enough? When we don't bother to take care of ourselves we feel unloved, unappreciated and unsupported. Then we try and fill those voids with external love and attention. If we don’t take care of ourselves we won’t be able to take care of anyone else and we will never FEEL the same fulfilling happiness and love that we provide to ourselves.
Self care means wrapping yourself in a loving supportive blanket. It's about listening to your bodies needs. It's taking time to pause. To reflect on the choices we make. Do they nourish our bodies, our minds, our souls? Self care is a way to reconnect with YOU. What makes you feel empowered, inspired, loved? It could be your quiet time, your adventure time, your time with nature.
My self care is about taking care of my body, mind and spirit a lil bit everyday. Its my way of recharging my batteries, bringing my creativity and inspiration into focus and finding some peace within. It's what was needed for my “busy to do list daze.” I have a daily ritual that I do most mornings. Which looks a little something like this...upon waking I drink a 10 oz glass of warm to room temp water with lemon, a 20 min yoga practice or run, a 30 min pranayama (breath work) + meditation practice and then sitting down with a cup of coffee as I read through my emails to start my day.
There are other practices that I embrace on a weekly and/or monthly basis but one that I am working on currently is setting boundaries…this is a BIG one for us people pleasers out there. Learning to say NO. Absolutely necessary to keep you from overdoing, overworking, overwhelming yourself. If you are exhausted no one including yourself is benefiting from that.
By creating a guilt free self care regimen you will be more effective and productive with your daily tasks. Find what works for you; 5 mins of focused breathing and/or meditation, setting an intention or positive affirmation for the day, being more mindful with your food choices, your favorite yoga class, book or journaling that inspires you and ignites your passion or taking a walk out in nature to connect. Whatever its is…find a little something everyday to tend to your needs. Carving out 5 - 30 mins a day (or more of course ;)) of sacred time for YOU. Once you begin to notice all the goodness that comes out of nurturing and catering to your needs, you will begin to make your own daily routine that will recharge + empower you. Give it a try!
Now, self care takes time especially if you have been in the opposing team for so long. It took me years to get to where I am now…but with consistency and being present I have learned more and more about what is working for me and what is not. I’m still on my journey but finding time for me is important and necessary for living a more fulfilling healthy life.
What can you do today that brings nourishment to your body, mind or soul? YOU DESERVE IT!
SELF CARE YES'
- Doing Yoga - Chill + Chakra Saturday the 21st
- Being outside in Nature - hiking, walking, running etc.
- Green goodness for your body - eating lots of fresh veggies to energize and keep you recharging
- Staying hydrated - drinking at least half your body weight in oz to replenish your body
- Movement - get moving whether it be a sport, yoga, run, dance, jump rope...whatever it is...move your butt!
- Sleeping at least 7-8 hours a night to restore your body
- Calming the mind by mindful breath work and/or meditations
- Asking for help
- Saying NO to obligations and tasks you dread
- Connecting with good family and friends that inspire you and support you
- Reading books / articles etc that bring knowledge and inspiration
- Aromatherapy to enhance your mood
- Whatever floats your boat….
I came across this list from my IIN course. I look at it from time to time as a reminder for living a charmed life and I want to share it with you. These are the ones that resonated with me but I know the list was longer...What's on your LIST?
LIVING A CHARMED LIFE:
- Love passionately
- Live passionately
- Trust your instincts
- Let your mind dance with your body
- Accept things as they are
- Play your "free square" - the gift you give to the world - something that comes easy to you
- Invite adventure
- Designate a sacred spot
- Put up with some discomfort
- Grow through the hard times
- Cultivate compassion
- Delight in the details
- Ask for what you need
- Dance with your shadow
- Raise your awe and wonder quotient
- Add a lot of romance to your life
- Boost vitality
- Treat your body like a temple
- Have some fun and don't feel guilty about it
- Smile and laugh everyday
- Be kind and compassionate
- Be true to yourself
- Don't let opportunities pass you by
- Check in with yourself - Are you being served?
- When heaven knocks - open the door!
- Call truce with the clock
- Work a charmed job
- Move and groove to your own beat
- Don't be afraid to stand out and be different - we are all unique and have a gift
- Always listen to your heart and your gut
- Go with the flow
- Be creative
- Be gentle to yourself physically, mentally and emotionally
- Live, Love and prosper
Love and more LOVE!